Clinton Aide Begs Joe Biden to Stay Hiding: ‘Whatever You Do, Don’t Debate Trump’
- 1.8K Views
Joe Lockhart is publicly begging Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden not to debate President Donald Trump -- warning it could cost him the election.
Lockhart, a former press secretary for President Bill Clinton, Lockhart published an op-ed last week at CNN warning Biden that he should not debate Trump because the he claims the president makes too many false statement.
Whatever you do, don’t debate Trump. Trump has now made more than 20,000 misleading or false statements according to the Washington Post. It’s a fool’s errand to enter the ring with someone who can’t follow the rules or the truth. Biden will undoubtedly take heat from Republicans and the media for skipping the debates. But it’s worth the risk as trying to debate someone incapable of telling the truth is an impossible contest to win.
With just over 90 days left before the election, Lockhart gave Biden six tips for the election.
1. Concentrate on turning out core Democratic constituencies. Blacks, women and suburban voters still need to turn out in record numbers to counter the reliable Trump base voters.
2. Don't reach and expend resources on states you don't need to get to 271 electoral votes. You don't need Texas to win the presidency. The tidal force of a blue wave may deliver the state as a bonus but concentrate on other battleground states.
- 3. Don't be afraid to be boring. The public is tired of Trump's act. They want competence to replace the reality show. Stick to your own game. Always be the adult in the race.
- 4. Don't take the bait. Trump will goad you with ridiculous and slanderous charges on a daily basis. Use your advertising resources to respond where necessary to Trump, keep your message about what's best for the American people.
- 5. Whatever you do, don't debate Trump. Trump has now made more than 20,000 misleading or false statements according to the Washington Post. It's a fool's errand to enter the ring with someone who can't follow the rules or the truth. Biden will undoubtedly take heat from Republicans and the media for skipping the debates. But it's worth the risk as trying to debate someone incapable of telling the truth is an impossible contest to win.
- 6. Ignore the polls, run like you are 10 points behind. Make sure your supporters don't become complacent by not becoming complacent yourself.
We're also inching closer and closer towards Trump and Biden officially facing off on the debate stage.
The University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, was scheduled to host the first debate.
However, those plans have since changed after the Catholic university announced its decision to cancel an on-campus presidential debate planned for Sept. 29 due to coronavirus concerns.
Last month, the University of Michigan canceled plans to hold the second presidential debate of the season on its Ann Arbor campus on Oct. 15.