Donald Trump is fighting back against the partisan January 6 commission formed by Speaker Nancy Pelosi. The panel is entirely composed of radical Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans and seeks to infringe on his executive privilege and his personal communications to support the bogus political narrative that January 6 was an “insurrection” and a “coup attempt” that was encouraged by Donald Trump himself.
“Former President Trump on Monday filed a federal lawsuit against the Jan. 6 select committee seeking to block the panel from obtaining his administration’s records from the National Archives,” the Hill reported.
“The Committee’s request amounts to nothing less than a vexatious, illegal fishing expedition openly endorsed by Biden and designed to unconstitutionally investigate President Trump and his administration,” the lawsuit reads. “Our laws do not permit such an impulsive, egregious action against a former President and his close advisors.”
“The committee has previously made clear it plans to fight any executive privilege claims, noting resistance from former White House strategist Steve Bannon to comply with a subpoena,” the report added.
“Mr. Bannon has declined to cooperate with the Select Committee and is instead hiding behind the former President’s insufficient, blanket, and vague statements regarding privileges he has purported to invoke. We reject his position entirely,” Thompson said in a statement last week.
“The Select Committee will use every tool at its disposal to get the information it seeks, and witnesses who try to stonewall the Select Committee will not succeed.”
"*" indicates required fields
The lawsuit follows upon attempts to force the Trump administration to comply with unlawful subpoenas. Trump earlier instructed four top aides to defy sweeping subpoenas issued by the partisan January 6 commission.
“Former President Donald Trump is directing a group of his former aides to ignore a subpoena from the House committee probing the Jan. 6 Capitol attack and signaling he will go to court to block their testimony to the investigators,” Politico reported on Thursday.
“The committee has subpoenaed documents and testimony from four Trump administration alumni: former social media czar Dan Scavino, former Defense Department official Kash Patel, former chief of staff Mark Meadows, and former White House adviser Steve Bannon. The four men were ordered to turn over documents related to Jan. 6 by Thursday and to sit for interviews with investigators next week,” the report added.
Steve Bannon has said outright that he will not comply with the January 6 committee’s subpoena.
“Former White House strategist Steve Bannon on Friday said he stood solidly with former President Trump and will not be cooperating with its investigation into the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol,” the Daily Mail reported.
“I stand with Trump and the Constitution,” he told the Daily Mail.
Another aide, Dan Scavino, can’t be located to get the subpoena served to him.
“More than a week after subpoenaing former Donald Trump aide Dan Scavino to cooperate with its investigation into the January 6 riot at the US Capitol, the House select committee investigating the attack has been unable to physically serve the subpoena to him, according to multiple sources familiar with the effort,” CNN reported.
Meanwhile, President Joe Biden has waived executive privilege on an initial batch of Trump White House documents requested by the National Archives.
“After my consultations with the Office of Legal Counsel at the Department of Justice, President Biden has determined than an assertion of executive privilege is not in the best interests of the United States, and therefore is not justified as to any of the Documents,” wrote White House counsel Dana Remus in a letter to Archivist of the United States David Ferriero in a letter obtained by Politico..
White House counsel Dana Remus justified the decision to reject Trump’s request to assert executive privilege by referring to the House Jan. 6 investigation as “unique and extraordinary.”He issued a hyperbolic, inaccurate statement on the decision.
President Biden has determined that an assertion of executive privilege is not in the best interests of the United States, and therefore is not justified as to any of the documents,” Remus wrote.
“These are unique and extraordinary circumstances,” Remus added. “Congress is examining an assault on our Constitution and democratic institutions provoked and fanned by those sworn to protect them, and the conduct under investigation extends far beyond typical deliberations concerning the proper discharge of the President’s constitutional responsibilities,” he claimed. “The constitutional protections of executive privilege should not be used to shield, from Congress or the public, information that reflects a clear and apparent effort to subvert the Constitution itself.”
The January 6 event at the Capitol grounds was a riot. No one except for one protester was killed in the riot. The FBI has not determined any centralized plot to overturn the results of the election. None of the protesters inside the building were found to be armed with firearms. None of the January 6 defendants has been charged with treason or “insurrection,” despite many of them being detained in inhumane conditions. It is deliberately misleading to call January 6 an “insurrection.”
The White House counsel asserted that the executive privilege waivers would be coming on a ‘case by case basis.’
“The effect of this decision may be limited,” Remus wrote, adding, “We continue to review materials you provided to the White House after that date and will respond at an appropriate time.”
Trump now has 30 days to challenge the decision prior to the National Archives releasing them to the Jan. 6 panel, Politico reported. Donald Trump earlier issued a letter that stated the January 6 committee is seeking materials that are covered by executive and other privileges.
“President Trump is prepared to defend these fundamental privileges in court,” the letter said.
Meanwhile, one famous “Never Trump” pundit lamented in a thread that the January 6 committee is already effectively “dead.”
“I have some bad news,” Rick Wilson wrote. “After multiple calls I have some extremely grim news. As of now 1/6 commission is dead already, and will not enforce the subpoenas.”
“Trump wins,” he added. “The 1/6 terror plot will go unexamined and unpunished.”
“To say I’m livid is putting it mildly,” he rambled on. “This is staffed wrong, led wrong, and a gutless exercise to get back to talking about infrastructure. They’re not taking the risk seriously, they’re not taking the data before them seriously, and they’re eager to run out the clock.”
“Livid,” he reiterated. “I’m told that the whole plan is to bring in academics to examine the information from that day, when it should be a LE/IC style counterterrorism investigation. The leadership has already decided to slow roll it and write a tsk tsk memo at the end. ‘They’re afraid of 1A implications.’ The FUCK?”
“How about being afraid of a mob coming to fucking kill you?” he added. “Democrats, never tell me again ‘We got this’.”
“Because you don’t have this,” Wilson insisted. “Stay locked in your bubble that the modern GOP won’t have a mob of Bannon’s terrorists burn you to the ground and piss on the ashes. An unpunished coup is a training exercise. End.”
Amazingly enough, the January 6 committee has a verified Twitter page and actually responded to Wilson’s rant.
This is all nonsense⬇️⬇️⬇️ https://t.co/dtWCRJhgGF
— January 6th Committee (@January6thCmte) October 8, 2021
It is nonsense. All of it. And now Trump is going to fight it in court.