NY Times Confirms: ‘Stand Down’ Order Given to Capitol Police During January 6th Riot

The New York Times has finally confirmed what many political observers had been saying all along about the Capitol riots: It was pre-planned, the Capitol Police knew it was coming, and authorities effectively gave a ‘stand down’ order.

A new 104-page report dropped by an internal investigator shreds authorities for intentionally hampering the police response on what has subsequently been claimed was a “coup,” an “insurrection,” and an attempt to “overturn” the results of the 2020 election.

The Inspector General of the Capitol Police laid bare all of the disturbing issues involved with the way the January 6th Electoral College security was mishandled.


“A new report by the Capitol Police’s internal watchdog found that department leaders overlooked key intelligence in the run-up to the riot on Jan. 6, including a warning that ‘Congress itself is the target,’ and barred the force’s riot response unit from using its most powerful crowd-control measures,” the New York Times reported.

“The 104-page document, entitled ‘Review of the Events Surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021, Takeover of the U.S. Capitol,’ is the most searing portrait yet of the lapses and miscalculations around the most violent attack on the Capitol in two centuries,” the Times continued. “It adds significant new detail not unearthed in congressional hearings and is likely to inform a coming overhaul of the agency promised by lawmakers.”

“In a 104-page document, the inspector general, Michael A. Bolton, criticized the way the Capitol Police prepared for and responded to the mob violence on Jan. 6,” the Times said about the unpublished report. “The report was reviewed by The New York Times and will be the subject of a Capitol Hill hearing on Thursday.”

At the Trump impeachment trial, it was revealed that Congress had been warned by the now-resigned Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund an attack from extremists was coming days before the uprising. House impeachment manager Rep. Stacey Plaskett revealed the explosive information on the second day of the Senate trial.

  • This poll gives you free access to our premium politics newsletter. Unsubscribe at any time.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

“The day before the rioters stormed the Congress an FBI office in Virginia also issued an explicit warning that extremists were preparing to travel to Washington to commit violence and, quote, war, according to internal reports,” she said.

“Leading up to the event there were hundreds, hundreds of posts online showing that his supporters took this as a call to arms to attack the Capitol,” she continued. “There were detailed posts of plans to attack online. Law enforcement warned that these posts were real threats and even made arrests days leading up to the attack.”

Rep. Maxine Waters also revealed in an exclusive interview just after the capitol building uprising she warned the capitol police chief days prior to the attack:

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) said the outgoing Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund ignored warnings that an attack by domestic terrorists was imminent days before insurrectionists imposed their will and overtook the hallowed government building on Jan. 6.

“First of all, to the families of those who died, they need to sue the U.S. government because the Capitol Police and others who had the responsibility of organizing security for this event failed,” she claimed.

“Either they are incompetent, or they lied, or they’re complicit,” she stated. “This is a very complicated combination of individuals and operations that I think played a role in this attack on our Capitol.”



The former Capitol Police chief Steven Sund, forced to resign under heavy pressure from Democrats, fired back a response to Speaker Pelosi. It undercuts the Democrats’ narrative that there were no requests made for heavier security. In fact, the Congress was warned six times before the capitol riots, and yet, the House and Senate Sergeant at Arms, also both resigned, failed to act upon those requests.

But a “secret history” of the 2020 campaign reveals that radical organizations, major corporations, and party operatives assessed that there would likely be a riot if Trump lost and they could blame the president for ‘inciting’ it. The Time article lays it out:

On March 3, Podhorzer drafted a three-page confidential memo titled “Threats to the 2020 Election.” “Trump has made it clear that this will not be a fair election, and that he will reject anything but his own re-election as ‘fake’ and rigged,” he wrote. “On Nov. 3, should the media report otherwise, he will use the right-wing information system to establish his narrative and incite his supporters to protest.”

Major General William J. Walker, the commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, confirmed many of Americans’ worst suspicions about the January 6th capitol riots in his explosive Senate testimony in early March. The National Guard had been prevented from providing ample security due to what he described as concerns about “optics.”

Speaker Pelosi’s role in calling the shots on Congressional security was confirmed by the now-resigned House Sergeant at Arms. It is clear that the Democrats knew that there would be an explosive situation outside the Electoral College as early as March of 2020. It is now indisputable that the Capitol Police and National Guard were told not to do their jobs by effectively being issued “stand down” orders.

As seen on Becker News. Follow Kyle Becker and Becker News on Twitter.