The march by Democrats to implement as much Marxism as possible while they still have a bare majority continues, with American gun owners once again in their sights — pun intended.
Senate Democrats are set to introduce legislation that would instantly make 205 now-legally-owned firearms illegal overnight.
Here are the key provisions:
- Bans the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 205 military-style assault weapons by name. Owners may keep existing weapons.
- Bans any assault weapon with the capacity to utilize a magazine that is not a fixed ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock. Owners may keep existing weapons.
- Bans magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, which allow shooters to quickly fire many rounds without needing to reload. Owners may keep existing magazines.
- Requires a background check on any future sale, trade or gifting of an assault weapon covered by the bill.
- Requires that grandfathered assault weapons are stored using a secure gun storage or safety device like a trigger lock.
- Prohibits the transfer of high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- Bans bump-fire stocks and other devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire at fully automatic rates.
“It’s been 17 years since the original Assault Weapons Ban expired, and the plague of gun violence continues to grow in this country,” said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) in a press release.
“To be clear, this bill saves lives. When it was in place from 1994-2004, gun massacres declined by 37 percent compared with the decade before. After the ban expired, the number of massacres rose by 183 percent,” she continued.
“We’re now seeing a rise in domestic terrorism, and military-style assault weapons are increasingly becoming the guns of choice for these dangerous groups. I’m hopeful that with the new administration and Democratic control of the Senate, we can finally pass commonsense gun reforms to remove these deadly weapons from our communities,” Feinstein added.
This is false and misleading.
While crime fell during the time period mentioned, it wasn’t due to the ‘assault weapons’ ban. Some studies indicate it was due to a tough crime bill signed in 1994. In fact, a Justice Department study at the 10-year anniversary of the ban (it expired after 10 years) found that it had no measurable effect on gun deaths and crime. And why? Because these rifles were rarely used to commit crimes (and that is still the case). More recent studies have come to the same conclusions.
“Assault weapons are designed for a single purpose – to kill as many people as possible in as short an amount of time as possible. That’s why they are the weapon of choice for mass shooters and domestic terrorists. They are weapons of war and do not belong in our communities,” added Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.). “Banning these weapons will make our cities and towns safer and more secure and help to reduce gun deaths.”
Again, this is simply a lie. Using stats and studies cited by the Foundation for Economic Education, betweeen 2007 and 2017 “mass shootings involving AWs constitute 0.17 percent and 0.24 percent of all homicides and firearm homicides.”
“What do Las Vegas, Orlando, Newtown, Sutherland Springs, El Paso, and Parkland all have in common? These communities are a tragic shorthand for some of the deadliest mass shootings in our nation’s history, all of which involved an assault weapon,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.). “Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are deadly and dangerous weapons of war that belong on battlefields—not our streets.
“They have no purpose for self-defense or hunting, and no business being in our schools, churches and malls. By passing this legislation, Congress can honor the memory of the beautiful lives cut short by military-style assault weapons in far too many American cities,” he added.
False. Wrong. Lies.
As terrible as the shootings he mentioned are, they also have another commonality: Rarity. Again, look at the FEE’s stats from 2002-2017; these weapons are hardly used to commit crimes.
Also, there are parts of the country, many of them, were so-called ‘assault weapons’ are used for hunting. And the guns of the type mentioned here sold in commercial guns shops are not “military-grade” weapons. So enough already.
The fact is, these are popular weapons with law-abiding Americans that Democrats have decided we shouldn’t have, period. The question is — why? Why these guns and not handguns, which are used far more often in gun crimes?
Maybe it’s because Americans armed with the guns Democrats want to take away are a lot more capable of staying free.