The Second Presidential Debate Is Officially Cancelled
- 5.6K Views
In a move that will only serve to protect Joe Biden, the second presidential debate has been officially cancelled.
On Friday, the Commission On Presidential Debates (CPD) announced that the event which originally set to be held in Miami was called off after President Trump balked at the last minute decision to change the format to a virtual debate that would have favored the Democrat nominee.
Trump slammed the changes as "unacceptable" and "ridiculous" and that he wasn't going to waste his time on a faux debate where moderators would be able to cut him off while allowing for Biden to be spoon fed answers by his off-camera handlers.
The format change was the result of Team Biden's whining about being exposed to COVID-19 by being on the stage with Trump who caught the virus and has since been undergoing treatment.
The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) has officially canceled the second debate between President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden scheduled for Oct. 15 after the candidates signaled they planned to attend other events that day amid a dispute over the terms for the debate.
The announcement puts to rest speculation over whether the event would take place in a modified format next week following a back-and-forth that began early Thursday when Trump rejected the commission's plans to shift the debate to a virtual event amid health concerns after he tested positive for COVID-19.
Biden's campaign initially committed to continue on with the debate, though it indicated later Thursday after it became apparent that Trump would not participate in a virtual debate that Biden planned to instead attend a town hall in Pennsylvania hosted by ABC News.
"It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22,” the commission said in a statement Friday night.
The media is spinning it as Trump refused to negotiate but that's a distortion; Biden's backers have been urging the former vice president to pull out of the debate ever since Trump mopped the floor with both him and Chris Wallace in the first debate.
Biden will instead return to the welcoming arms of CNN for a "town hall" while Trump plans to resume campaigning.
The second debate was rocked by controversy after moderator Steve Scully who was already facing accusations of bias appears to have mistakenly sent out a direct message to Anthony "The Mooch" Scaramucci from his Twitter feed.
Cable network C-SPAN which is Scully's employer issued a statement claiming that his Twitter account had been hacked.
C-SPAN said Friday the Twitter account for Political Editor Steve Scully, who was slated to host the second presidential debate, was hacked after a tweet was posted from Scully's official account in which he appeared to ask for advice from Trump critic Anthony Scaramucci about how to respond to criticism the president had leveled at him.
"Steve Scully did not originate the tweet and believes his account has been hacked," C-SPAN said in a statement. The Commission on Presidential Debates has stated publicly that the tweet was not sent by Scully himself and is investigating with the help of authorities. When additional information is available, we will release it."
The debate Scully was supposed to moderate has now been canceled.
All that was missing was blaming it on Russia.
The third debate is still on schedule - at least for now - but now that the goalposts have again been moved, the resistance has two weeks to figure out how to cancel it as well.