Seattle Business Owners & Residents SUE City over Lawless CHOP Zone
- 3.5K Views
Since earlier this month, lawless anarchists have occupied several square blocks in Seattle, terrorizing people who ‘disagree’ with their political objectives, defacing private property, intimidating business owners, and engaging in violence to include fatal shootings.
And all of this while city leaders under Democratic Mayor Jenny Durkan have sat idly by watching it all happen, even celebrating the ‘woke’ nature of the movement which was really only loosely tied to “Black Lives Matter.
Well, some residents, business and property owners have finally had enough of the ‘CHOP’ zone: They’ve filed suit against the city claiming that Durkan & Co. were complicit in allowing anarchists to deny them their property rights.
“The plaintiffs, including a tattoo parlor and auto repair shop, emphasized in the lawsuit filed Wednesday that they were not trying to undermine the anti-police-brutality or Black Lives Matter messaging of the ‘Capitol Hill Occupied Protest,'” King 5 reported Thursday.
The suit, filed in U.S. District Court, notes:
This lawsuit is about the constitutional and other legal rights of Plaintiffs—businesses, employees, and residents in and around CHOP—which have been overrun by the City of Seattle’s unprecedented decision to abandon and close off an entire city neighborhood, leaving it unchecked by the police, unserved by fire and emergency health services, and inaccessible to the public at large. The City’s decision has subjected businesses, employees, and residents of that neighborhood to extensive property damage, public safety dangers, and an inability to use and access their properties.
The City’s policies have effectively authorized the actions of the CHOP participants. The City has communicated clearly to CHOP participants that they may indefinitely continue occupying the streets in the area, maintaining their barricades, and blocking traffic, all without interference from the City.
“The result of the City’s actions has been lawlessness,” said a statement from the Calfo Eakes LLC law firm, which is representing the group of about a dozen plaintiffs, according to the Seattle Times.
“There is no public safety presence. Police officers will not enter the area unless it is a life-or-death situation, and even in those situations, the response is delayed and muted, if it comes at all,” the firm noted further.
The Associated Press reported that plaintiffs (who are probably fearful of reprisals) want to make it clear they’re not making any comments or statements derogatory of the BLM movement or message. Rather, the suit is about property rights and the city’s complicit non-reaction.
The suit comes after the utopian police-free zone has become increasingly violent (so much for that ‘summer of love’ festival-like “block party” environment Durkan spoke swimmingly about earlier this month).
“We’ve got four blocks in Seattle that you just saw pictures of that is more like a block party atmosphere. It’s not an armed takeover. It’s not a military junta. We will make sure that we can restore this. But we have block parties and the like in this part of Seattle all the time. It’s known for that. So, I think the president, number one, there is no threat right now to the public,” she said a few days after the takeover.
Really, mayor? Then how come your police department abandoned and boarded up its precinct building inside the zone, if it wasn’t anything more than a “block party” like they always have in that part of the city?